Tuesday, March 12, 2013


Here it is! The results of my one week challenge to myself. Turns out if I push it I can make one in a week. This one is considerably smaller than most. measuring only 20 x 9.5 inches- which honestly felt a lot like cheating.  Here's the final product:

I learned a lot this week about my process and about color.

 I set out to make a white on white piece. I just couldn't do it. I love color. Mixing color is one of the most satisfying tings I do on a regular basis. Producing a color that is what I'm feeling is such an engaging process- its accurate for me than writing a sentence. Joseph Albers changed how I think about color.  I used to leave materials raw and unfinished. Now- I can't say 'no' to slapping paint on things. I struggle now with how to pair colors to make the most impact. I am most challenged by picking out the right color of varnish to enhance the painting underneath. Below is the painting with the layer of varnish applied, but not buffed.


Below is the piece before the varnish. Notice how lively it feels in comparison to the 'finished' piece at the top of this entry.


All in all- I think I had a pretty successful 'challenge' week. The finished product may not be my favorite, but hey, I'm pretty picky. Thanks for taking the time to check this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment